Wednesday, January 04, 2006

HDYLTA revealed

I've always found comfort in privacy. Knowing that nobody was aware of what I was doing always made mediocrity and failure more tolerable. I'm like the guy who knows the right answer, but doesn't raise his hand just in case he is wrong.

So to date I have posted under the illusion that nobody was reading what I was writing. Charlie, over at State of the Beehive, destroyed that illusion today. Now I must face the anxiety of public performance.

So, for the benefit of those who may read this blog, and to more fully commit myself to this endeavor, I want explain HDYLTA's purpose, my expectations, and my anonymity:

HDYLTA is a forum where the published opinions of Utah's state appellate courts will be linked to, summarized, and perhaps discussed. I will also post court-related news and events. I hope that HDYLTA will evolve into a resource for Utahns, particularly Utah attorneys, to monitor and discuss their courts decisions without having to read every opinion that issues. I'm going to do that for them.

I'm not aware of any other website or publication where a person can, without charge, quickly get the gist of an appellate court opinion shortly after it's released (If you know of such a resource, there is a comment button at the bottom of this post. Please, share.). So I hope you find HDYLTA helpful.

Who am I? I am an attorney in Salt Lake City, and I appear occasionally in the Utah Court of Appeals and Utah Supreme Court. That's all you need to know for now. I originally conceived of HDYLTA as a place where I could editorialize the courts' opinions, and I wanted anonymity in case I said anything that pissed anybody off---particularly a judge. I've decided that the purposes of HDYLTA are better served by less editorial and more reporting. But I still prefer, for now, to retain my anonymity. Cause I never know when I might want to fire off a zinger.

My area of practice is rather narrow, so please pipe up if I get a case all wrong. I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong. I just don't do it very often, cause I'm always right.

Seriously, though. Everybody is best served if the summaries posted here are as accurate and concise as possible. So if you think I'm being too brief or too detailed, or if I get something wrong. Let me know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Charley Foster said...

I like the idea of editorial comments a lot. Either way, It sounds like a great project and I'm looking forward to being a reader.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Matt, Rach, Samus, Little-O, & Hank the Tank said...

Let's keep the question open. I would like to editorialize a little. But it's time consuming just to read and summarize the opinions. Any editorial comments will likely be nothing more than the incoherant ramblings of a sleep deprived mind.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...Your 4 year old seems to think the site is a little boring. He suggets adding some pictures to liven it up a bit.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter